Witches, vampires, werewolves, and all sorts of other mystical creatures that lurk in the dark, as well as their respective hunters, present a very intriguing, and currently extremely popular theme, not only in books and movies, but also in television. In fact, there are plenty of TV shows you can choose from to quench your thirst for the supernatural. Aside from our favorite at OnEdgeTV.com (Grimm, Bates Motel, American Horror Story, Sleepy Hollow, and Dracula) Here are some of the best:
- Supernatural (CW): As the obvious title indicates this show is about every single thing supernatural: ghosts, vampires, werewolves, even demons and angels. It revolves around two (hot!) brothers (portrayed by Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki), who travel across the country killing anything non-human. Equal parts drama and comedy, horror and action, it is downright addictive! Its ninth and possibly final season starts in the fall.
- The Vampire Diaries (also on the CW): Although mostly targeted to a younger audience, this show has fans of all ages who admit to it as their guilty pleasure! Think of twilight, less sap more action, and a dreamy cast (Paul Wesley, Ian Somerhalder, Nina Dobrev)! It is set in a fictional little town in Virginia that is packed with supernatural creatures: vampires (obviously!), werewolves, witches, psychics and of course hunters, all of which interact with each other and with the human population in various interesting manners… The show just finished its fourth season.
- True Blood (HBO): Another one for all you vampire lovers out there. Miles different from the vampire diaries, True blood is a very sexual, brutal adventure set in a sweet little town in Alabama. In this show’s universe vampires are out in the open and considered normal American citizens, only nocturnal. Other than vampires, this show also offers psychics (the show’s main character, southern sweetheart Sookie Stackhouse, portrayed by the talented Anna Paquin), werewolves, witches and all sorts of other scary beasts! Its sixth season just started so tune in!
- Teen Wolf (MTV): Now if you hate those bloodsuckers and root for their mortal enemies, the other fanged creatures of the night, known as werewolves, this is a good one for you! The show, which turned out to be much better than anyone expected, revolves around a fresh-bitten teen werewolf. The cast is particularly easy on the eyes, the dialogues funnier than you’d ever expect from a horror show, without that meaning that it’s short on scenes to make your heart race. Just like true blood, Teen Wolf is a summer show and just started its third season.
- The Walking dead (AMC): Admittedly one of the most addictive TV shows of the past years, its focus is on the supernatural creatures that probably have the most obsessed fan base: the zombies! It’s set in a post-apocalyptic future and the basis of the scenario isn’t too hard to guess: humans vs. the zombies! Season four airs in October!
Honorable mentions: Game of Thrones (mostly for the dragons!), Doctor Who (the well-known time lord and his aliens), Buffy the Vampire Slayer (always a classic), and ABC’s Once Upon a Time(where all fairytale characters and creatures are real).Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2013 On Edge TV